- Quantum Zeno dynamics (2) (remove)
- Zeno dynamics in quantum statistical mechanics (2004)
- We study the quantum Zeno effect in quantum statistical mechanics within the operator algebraic framework. We formulate a condition for the appearance of the effect in W*-dynamical systems, in terms of the short-time behaviour of the dynamics. Examples of quantum spin systems show that this condition can be effectively applied to quantum statistical mechanical models. Furthermore, we derive an explicit form of the Zeno generator, and use it to construct Gibbs equilibrium states for the Zeno dynamics. As a concrete example, we consider the X-Y model, for which we show that a frequent measurement at a microscopic level, e.g. a single lattice site, can produce a macroscopic effect in changing the global equilibrium. PACS - Klassifikation: 03.65.Xp, 05.30.-d, 02.30. See the corresponding papers: Schmidt, Andreas U.: "Zeno Dynamics of von Neumann Algebras" and "Mathematics of the Quantum Zeno Effect" and the talk "Zeno Dynamics in Quantum Statistical Mechanics" - http://publikationen.ub.uni-frankfurt.de/volltexte/2005/1167/
- Zeno Dynamics in Quantum Statistical Mechanics (2003)
- Presentation at the Università di Pisa, Pisa, Itlay 3 July 2002, the conference on Irreversible Quantum Dynamics', the Abdus Salam ICTP, Trieste, Italy, 29 July - 2 August 2002, and the University of Natal, Pietermaritzburg, South Africa, 14 May 2003. Version of 24 April 2003: examples added; 16 December 2002: revised; 12 Sptember 2002. See the corresponding papers "Zeno Dynamics of von Neumann Algebras", "Zeno Dynamics in Quantum Statistical Mechanics" and "Mathematics of the Quantum Zeno Effect"