- English (3) (remove)
- Robotic Gesture Recognition (1997)
- Robots of the future should communicate with humans in a natural way. We are especially interested in vision-based gesture interfaces. In the context of robotics several constraints exist, which make the task of gesture recognition particularly challenging. We discuss these constraints and report on progress being made in our lab in the development of techniques for building robust gesture interfaces which can handle these constraints. In an example application, the techniques are shown to be easily combined to build a gesture interface for a real robot grasping objects on a table in front of it.
- A System for Person-Independent Hand Posture Recognition against Complex Backgrounds (2001)
- A computer vision system for non-independent recognition of hand postures against complex background is presented. THe system is based on Elastic Graph Matching (EGM), which was extended to allow for combinations of different feature types at the graph nodes.
- Binding - a proposed experiment and a model (1996)
- The binding problem is regarded as one of today's key questions about brain function. Several solutions have been proposed, yet the issue is still controversial. The goal of this article is twofold. Firstly, we propose a new experimental paradigm requiring feature binding, the "delayed binding response task". Secondly, we propose a binding mechanism employing fast reversible synaptic plasticity to express the binding between concepts. We discuss the experimental predictions of our model for the delayed binding response task.