- Monetary policy and balance sheet adjustment (2014)
- In the wake of the Global Financial Crisis that started in 2007, policymakers were forced to respond quickly and forcefully to a recession caused not by short-term factors, but rather by an over-accumulation of debt by sovereigns, banks, and households: a so-called “balance sheet recession.” Though the nature of the crisis was understood relatively early on, policy prescriptions for how to deal with its consequences have continued to diverge. This paper gives a short overview of the prescriptions, the remaining challenges and key lessons for monetary policy.
- Forward guidance: a new challenge for central banks (2014)
- n a contribution prepared for the Athens Symposium on “Banking Union, Monetary Policy and Economic Growth”, Otmar Issing describes forward guidance by central banks as the culmination of the idea of guiding expectations by pure communication. In practice, he argues, forward guidance has proved a misguided idea. What is presented as state of the art monetary policy is an example of pretence of knowledge. Forward guidance tries to give the impression of a kind of rule-based monetary policy. De facto, however, it is an overambitious discretionary approach which, to be successful, would need much more (or rather better) information than is currently available. In Issing's view, communication must be clear and honest about the limits of monetary policy in a world of uncertainty.
- Großer Beifall (2012)
- Alle sind für mehr Europa. Doch was ist damit gemeint? Noch mehr finanzielle Verpflichtung jetzt gegen etwas Mitsprache in der Zukunft? Otmar Issing plädiert für ein besseres Europa, eine Union der Vertragstreue und der wirtschaftlichen Vernunft.
- Jeder muss sich selbst helfen (2012)
- Wie kann das Projekt gemeinsame Währung seine Glaubwürdigkeit wiederherstellen? Otmar Issing argumentiert, dass eine gemeinsame Währung ohne politische Union nur mit dem No-bail-out Prinzip funktionieren kann. Er warnt gleichzeitig davor, die politische Union nur als Mittel zur Krisenbewältigung voranzutreiben.
- Monetary theory and monetary policy : reflections on the development over the last 150 years : [Version 8 Dezember 2012] (2012)
- In this paper, we provide some reflections on the development of monetary theory and monetary policy over the last 150 years. Rather than presenting an encompassing overview, which would be overambitious, we simply concentrate on a few selected aspects that we view as milestones in the development of this subject. We also try to illustrate some of the interactions with the political and financial system, academic discussion and the views and actions of central banks.
- Der Weg aus der Krise : mehr Europa! Welches Europa? (2012)
- Vortrag im Rahmen der Weimarer Reden 11. März 2012: - Einführung - Was ist mit „Europa“ gemeint? - Europa als politisches Ziel - Integration über die Wirtschaft - Die Rolle der einheitlichen Währung - Dimensionen der Krise - Transferunion, Fiskalunion, Politische Union
- Challenges for monetary policy (2013)
- The financial crisis which started in 2007 has caused a tremendous challenge for monetary policy. The simple concept of inflation targeting has lost its position as state of the art. There is a debate on whether the mandate of a central bank should not be widened. And, indeed, monetary policy has been very accommodative in the last couple of years and central banks have modified their communication strategies by introducing forward guidance as a new policy tool. This paper addresses the consequences of these developments for the credibility, the reputation and the independence of central banks. It also comments on the recent debate among economists concerning the question whether the ECB's OMT program is compatible with its mandate.
- A new paradigm for monetary policy? (2013)
- Keynote speech to Conference “Twenty Years of Transition – Experiences and Challenges”. Central Bank of Slovakia. Bratislava, 3 May 2013