- Working Paper (14) (remove)
- Monetary theory and monetary policy : reflections on the development over the last 150 years (2012)
- In this paper, we provide some reflections on the development of monetary theory and monetary policy over the last 150 years. Rather than presenting an encompassing overview, which would be overambitious, we simply concentrate on a few selected aspects that we view as milestones in the development of this subject. We also try to illustrate some of the interactions with the political and financial system, academic discussion and the views and actions of central banks.
- Der Weg aus der Krise : mehr Europa! Welches Europa? (2012)
- Vortrag im Rahmen der Weimarer Reden 11. März 2012: - Einführung - Was ist mit „Europa“ gemeint? - Europa als politisches Ziel - Integration über die Wirtschaft - Die Rolle der einheitlichen Währung - Dimensionen der Krise - Transferunion, Fiskalunion, Politische Union
- Challenges for monetary policy (2013)
- The financial crisis which started in 2007 has caused a tremendous challenge for monetary policy. The simple concept of inflation targeting has lost its position as state of the art. There is a debate on whether the mandate of a central bank should not be widened. And, indeed, monetary policy has been very accommodative in the last couple of years and central banks have modified their communication strategies by introducing forward guidance as a new policy tool. This paper addresses the consequences of these developments for the credibility, the reputation and the independence of central banks. It also comments on the recent debate among economists concerning the question whether the ECB's OMT program is compatible with its mandate.