- German evidence-based guidelines for the treatment of Psoriasis vulgaris (short version) (2007)
- Psoriasis vulgaris is a common and chronic inflammatory skin disease which has the potential to significantly reduce the quality of life in severely affected patients. The incidence of psoriasis in Western industrialized countries ranges from 1.5 to 2%. Despite the large variety of treatment options available, patient surveys have revealed insufficient satisfaction with the efficacy of available treatments and a high rate of medication non-compliance. To optimize the treatment of psoriasis in Germany, the Deutsche Dermatologische Gesellschaft and the Berufsverband Deutscher Dermatologen (BVDD) have initiated a project to develop evidence-based guidelines for the management of psoriasis. The guidelines focus on induction therapy in cases of mild, moderate, and severe plaque-type psoriasis in adults. The short version of the guidelines reported here consist of a series of therapeutic recommendations that are based on a systematic literature search and subsequent discussion with experts in the field; they have been approved by a team of dermatology experts. In addition to the therapeutic recommendations provided in this short version, the full version of the guidelines includes information on contraindications, adverse events, drug interactions, practicality, and costs as well as detailed information on how best to apply the treatments described (for full version, please see Nast et al., JDDG, Suppl 2:S1–S126, 2006; or http://www.psoriasis-leitlinie.de).
- Tolerance to coxibs in patients with intolerance to non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) : a systematic structured review of the literature (2007)
- Adverse events triggered by non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) are among the most common drug-related intolerance reactions in medicine; they are possibly related to inhibition of cyclooxygenase-1. Coxibs, preferentially inhibiting cyclooxygenase-2, may therefore represent safe alternatives in patients with NSAID intolerance. We reviewed the literature in a systematic and structured manner to identify and evaluate studies on the tolerance of coxibs in patients with NSAID intolerance. We searched MEDLINE (1966–2006), the COCHRANE LIBRARY (4th Issue 2006) and EMBASE (1966–2006) up to December 9, 2006, and analysed all publications included using a predefined evaluation sheet. Symptoms and severity of adverse events to coxibs were analysed based on all articles comprising such information. Subsequently, the probability for adverse events triggered by coxibs was determined on analyses of double-blind prospective trials only. Among 3,304 patients with NSAID intolerance, 119 adverse events occurred under coxib medication. All adverse events, except two, have been allergic/urticarial in nature; none was lethal, but two were graded as life-threatening (grade 4). The two non-allergic adverse events were described as a grade 1 upper respiratory tract haemorrhage, and a grade 1 gastrointestinal symptom, respectively. In 13 double-blind prospective studies comprising a total of 591 patients with NSAID intolerance, only 13 adverse reactions to coxib provocations were observed. The triggering coxibs were rofecoxib (2/286), celecoxib (6/208), etoricoxib (4/56), and valdecoxib (1/41). This review documents the good tolerability of coxibs in patients with NSAID intolerance, for whom access to this class of drugs for short-term treatment of pain and inflammation is advantageous.
- Projekt "Evidenzbasierte Medizin Frankfurt" (2008)
- Im Juli 2000 wurde die Arbeitsgruppe Evidenzbasierte Medizin Frankfurt von einer Gruppe Studierender an der Goethe-Universität gegründet, um die Anwendung der klinisch-wissenschaftlichen Medizin und deren Lehre mit Hilfe der Methoden der Evidenzbasierten Medizin zu verbessern. Aus den mittlerweile 21 freiwilligen zunächst studentischen Kursen in Evidenzbasierter Medizin sind deutschlandweit die ersten verpflichtenden Seminare in Evidenzbasierter Medizin entstanden. Aufgrund des Einsatzes neuer Lehrmethoden von Beginn an und der kontinuierlichen Verbesserung des Seminars sind sowohl formative als auch summative Evaluationen sehr gut. Die im Rahmen der Lehrforschung erhobenen Evaluationsdaten konnten hochrangig publiziert werden. ...