Year of publication
- Englisch (100) (remove)
- Old masters and new frameworks : a pilot analysis of selected semantic changes in the field economy (2003)
- The axiological-cognitive analysis of the evaluative developments in the domain of "equidae" : a pilot study (2005)
- Context-induced creativity and the figurative use of taste terms (2011)
- For reasons of space, we only discussed one text in which the metaphors used seem to take their root in the context in which it has been written. One text is definitely not enough to make any definite claims on how widespread this phenomenon is. Given what we know about the two domains - FOOD and TASTE - one has reasons to believe that when speakers/conceptualisers(e.g. journalists) describe something which stands in some relation to both, they may intuitively be reaching for taste metaphors of the kind described above on the premise that this kind of ‘ornamentation’ will add some spice to what the addressee might otherwise consider a trivial (and boring) topic. At the same time, taste is only one among many properties a particular item of food or a substance (e.g. sugar) has. In consequence, one may well imagine contexts in which it is not its taste, but other properties (e.g. what Harbottle [1997:183] refers to as its 'pure white and deadly ’ image) that will make the conceptualiser reach for a particular linguistic or conceptual metaphor.
- Open-Source Machine Translation with DELPH-IN (2005)
- The Deep Linguistic Processing with HPSG Initiative (DELH-IN) provides the infrastructure needed to produce open-source semantic transfer-based machine translation systems. We have made available a prototype Japanese-English machine translation system built from existing resources include parsers, generators, bidirectional grammars and a transfer engine.