Linguistik-Klassifikation: Semantik / Semantics
Year of publication
- Article (93) (remove)
- Intermediate cumulation (2001)
- In this snippet, I will describe a new case where overt wh-movement leads to additional scope possibilities.
- On greek illusions: a semantic account of Alexopoulou’s generalization (2008)
- Alexopoulou (2008) argues that Greek provides new evidence for the concept of binding illusions that was hypothesized by Fox and Sauerland (1996). Of special interest from my perspective is Alexopoulou’s argument that binding illusions arise not only with existential and universal quantifiers, but also with negative and interrogative quantifiers. The purpose of this note is to speculate on how to account for these kinds of binding illusions semantically building on Alexopoulou’s argument. In the following I refer to Alexopoulou’s (2008) paper as BIRG (Binding Illusions and Resumption in Greek) and to Clitic Left-Dislocation as CLLD. BIRG’s argument is based on the generalization concerning CLLD in Greek. Generally, a left-dislocated noun phrase cannot bind a pronoun in its clause in Greek.
- No 'No' : on the crosslinguistic absence of a determiner 'No' (2000)
- This paper concerns the semantics of determiners. I point out that the currently dominant generalized quantifiers analysis of determiners has certain deficiencies. I then provide an alternative which seems offer some hope not suffer from the same deficiencies.
- Aktionsart (1999)