- Adaina perplexus, Asteraceae, Baccharis, Exelastis, Hellinsia, hostplants, larvae, life history, Lioptilodes, Melanthera, Sphenarches, Stenoptilodes (1)
- Aspidiotinae, Coccoidea, taxonomy (1)
- Auturus (1)
- Biting midges, Culicoides, Diptera, Ceratopogonidae, Mexico, new records, distribution (1)
- Caccoleptus (Bicaccoleptus) kacka, Nearctic region (1)
- Caddisfly, Trichoptera, Philopotamidae, Chimarra, new species, new records, species group, Vietnam (1)
- Caddisfly, Trichoptera, Polycentropodidae, Pahamunaya, new species, Vietnam (1)
- California, distribution, San Francisco Bay. (1)
- Caribbean Islands, biodiversity hot spots, beetle (1)
- Cass County, diplopod, distribution, Fargo, lacuna, North Dakota, South Dakota, Plains, Pleuroloma flavipes (1)
Taxonomic notes on Onthophagus (Palaeonthophagus) lemuroides d’Orbigny, 1898 and O. (P.) fortigibber Reitter, 1909 (Coleoptera: Scarabaeidae: Scarabaeinae: Onthophagini)
- The taxonomic position of Onthophagus (Palaeonthophagus) lemuroides d’Orbigny, 1898 and Onthophagus
(Palaeonthophagus) fortigibber Reitter, 1909 is discussed (Coleoptera: Scarabaeidae: Scarabaeinae: Onthophagini).
A key to the species is given. Photos of type specimens of the two taxa and significant chromatic varieties, and
drawings of aedeagi are presented.
On the identity and systematic placement of Onthophagus viriditinctus Reitter, 1892 (Coleoptera: Scarabaeidae: Scarabaeinae: Onthophagini)
- A re-description and new records of Onthophagus viriditinctus Reitter, 1892 (Coleoptera: Scarabaeidae: Scarabaeinae: Onthophagini), an uncommon species from Iran, are provided. The taxonomic position and some nomenclatural problems are discussed. The placement in the subgenus Exonthophagus Kabakov, 2006 is proposed. Images of the male, female, aedeagus and drawings of lamella copulatrix of Onthophagus viriditinctus and Onthophagus haroldi Ballion, 1871, the only other species included in the subgenus, are supplied. A key for distinguishing the two species is provided.
Corrigenda to and validation of Ozophora woodruffi Slater 2005 (Hemiptera: Lygaeidae)
Robert E. Woodruff
James A. Slater
- Important missing specimen data are provided for the original description of Ozophora woodruffi Slater (2005: 245) (Hemiptera: Lygaeidae), along with additional comparative relationships. Because of the missing type information, according to ICZN rules (1999), the species became a nomen nudum. This paper now serves to validate the name, and authorship becomes Slater (2012).
A new species of Culcua Walker (Diptera: Stratiomyidae) from Vietnam
Norman E. Woodley
- A new species of Culcua Walker (Diptera: Stratiomyidae), C. lingafelteri Woodley, new species, is described from northern Vietnam. It is diagnosed relative to other species using the recent revision of the genus by Rozkošný and Kozánek (2007). This is the first species of Culcua reported from Vietnam.
Recognition of Chyrsobothris thoracica guadeloupensis Descarpentries, 1981 at the species level (Coleoptera: Buprestidae)
Norman E. Woddley
- Evidence is presented that the subspecies Chrysobothris thoracica guadeloupensis Descarpentries, 1981
(Coleoptera: Buprestidae) should be recognized at the species level. Character evidence is provided to separate C.
guadeloupensis, new status, from C. thoracica Fabricius, 1798. Both species are illustrated with habitus photographs
and images of the male genitalia.
A new species of Villiersicometes Santos-Silva, 2003 (Coleoptera, Cerambycidae, Disteniinae)
Gérard L. Tavakilian
- Villiersicometes absalom sp. nov., a new species of Villiersicometes Santos-Silva, 2003 (Coleoptera,
Cerambycidae, Disteniinae) is described from French Guiana. The species is illustrated and a key to the species of the
genus is provided.
Description of a new species of Paranthaclisis Banks from Florida (Neuroptera: Myrmeleontidae)
Lionel A. and Stange
Robert B. Miller
- A new species of Paranthaclisis Banks, P. floridensis (Neuroptera: Myrmeleontidae), is described from
Florida and compared to the other described species in the genus. Keys to the adults and larvae are provided.
Two new genera of hispines (Coleoptera: Chrysomelidae: Cassidinae) from Ecuador
Charles L. Staines
- Bicristispa gracilis, new genus and new species, and Orbispa confluens, new genus and new species
(Coleoptera: Chrysomelidae: Cassidinae), both from canopy fogging material from Ecuador are described and
illustrated. Comparative notes distinguishing them from similar genera are provided.
A survey of spiders (Arachnida: Araneae) of Prince of Wales Island, Alaska; combining morphological and DNA barcode identification techniques
Gergin A. Blagoev
- Surveys during the summer of 2004 and August 2009 on Prince of Wales Island, Alaska, USA resulted in collection of 1064 adult spiders representing 84 species. Barcoding of spiders collected in 2009 resulted in DNA barcode data for 212 specimens representing 63 species. DNA barcode data were then used to facilitate the identification of otherwise unidentifiable juvenile and female specimens as well as to investigate phylogenetically four lineages with large branch lengths between specimens. Using morphological and DNA barcode identifications provided a more complete list of identified specimens than was possible using morphological data alone.
A new species of Chrysina Kirby (Coleoptera: Scarabaeidae: Rutelinae) from Oaxaca, Mexico
José Monzón Sierra
- Chrysina arellanoi new species (Coleoptera: Scarabaeidae: Rutelinae) is described from the southernmost
part of the Sierra Madre del Sur in Oaxaca, Mexico