Application of the liposuction techniques and principles in specific body areas and pathologies
Jorge A. D’Angelo
- The buttocks have been a symbol of attraction, sexuality and eroticism since ancient times and therefore, they have an important role in defining the posterior body contour. More and more people are talking about and understand the meaning and the role that buttocks play in modeling and physical beauty. The three dimensional gluteoplasty (3-DGP) is an innovative technique that allows us to change volume, shape and firmness, not only in the buttocks but also in the adjacent regions such as the thighs and trochanters, becoming an ideal tool to answer the frequent reasons of consultation of our patients about this particular area of the body: ...
Portal vein thrombosis and arterioportal shunts: effects on tumor response after chemoembolization of hepatocellular carcinoma
Thomas J. Vogl
Nagy Naguib Naeem Naguib
- AIM: To evaluate the effect of portal vein thrombosis and arterioportal shunts on local tumor response in advanced cases of unresectable hepatocellular carcinoma treated by transarterial chemoembolization.
METHODS: A retrospective study included 39 patients (mean age: 66.4 years, range: 45-79 years, SD: 7) with unresectable hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC) who were treated with repetitive transarterial chemoembolization (TACE) in the period between March 2006 and October 2009. The effect of portal vein thrombosis (PVT) (in 19 out of 39 patients), the presence of arterioportal shunt (APS) (in 7 out of 39), the underlying liver pathology, Child-Pugh score, initial tumor volume, number of tumors and tumor margin definition on imaging were correlated with the local tumor response after TACE. The initial and end therapy local tumor responses were evaluated according to the response evaluation criteria in solid tumors (RECIST) and magnetic resonance imaging volumetric measurements.
RESULTS: The treatment protocols were well tolerated by all patients with no major complications. Local tumor response for all patients according to RECIST criteria were partial response in one patient (2.6%), stable disease in 34 patients (87.1%), and progressive disease in 4 patients (10.2%). The MR volumetric measurements showed that the PVT, APS, underlying liver pathology and tumor margin definition were statistically significant prognostic factors for the local tumor response (P = 0.018, P = 0.008, P = 0.034 and P = 0.001, respectively). The overall 6-, 12- and 18-mo survival rates from the initial TACE were 79.5%, 37.5% and 21%, respectively.
CONCLUSION: TACE may be exploited safely for palliative tumor control in patients with advanced unresectable HCC; however, tumor response is significantly affected by the presence or absence of PVT and APS.
kurz und kn@pp news : Nr. 22
- * Akkreditierung akademischer Forschungspraxen
* International Workshop on Collaborative Strategies in Multimorbidity
* Neukonzeption des Seminars Allgemeinmedizin
* Neues von der Arbeitsgruppe WiForMFA
* Onkologie in der Hausarztpraxis
kurz und kn@pp news : Nr. 23
- * PICANT-Studie
* Bundesweite Studie zur Berufszufriedenheit von Medizinischen Fachangestellten
* Patientensicherheitskultur in Hausarztpraxen
* Neue Professur im Institut für Allgemeinmedizin
A clinically relevant gene signature in triple negative and basal-like breast cancer
- INTRODUCTION: Current prognostic gene expression profiles for breast cancer mainly reflect proliferation status and are most useful in ER-positive cancers. Triple negative breast cancers (TNBC) are clinically heterogeneous and prognostic markers and biology-based therapies are needed to better treat this disease.
METHODS: We assembled Affymetrix gene expression data for 579 TNBC and performed unsupervised analysis to define metagenes that distinguish molecular subsets within TNBC. We used n = 394 cases for discovery and n = 185 cases for validation. Sixteen metagenes emerged that identified basal-like, apocrine and claudin-low molecular subtypes, or reflected various non-neoplastic cell populations, including immune cells, blood, adipocytes, stroma, angiogenesis and inflammation within the cancer. The expressions of these metagenes were correlated with survival and multivariate analysis was performed, including routine clinical and pathological variables.
RESULTS: Seventy-three percent of TNBC displayed basal-like molecular subtype that correlated with high histological grade and younger age. Survival of basal-like TNBC was not different from non basal-like TNBC. High expression of immune cell metagenes was associated with good and high expression of inflammation and angiogenesis-related metagenes were associated with poor prognosis. A ratio of high B-cell and low IL-8 metagenes identified 32% of TNBC with good prognosis (hazard ratio (HR) 0.37, 95% CI 0.22 to 0.61; P < 0.001) and was the only significant predictor in multivariate analysis including routine clinicopathological variables.
CONCLUSIONS: We describe a ratio of high B-cell presence and low IL-8 activity as a powerful new prognostic marker for TNBC. Inhibition of the IL-8 pathway also represents an attractive novel therapeutic target for this disease.
Palliative Betreuung am Lebensende : Informationsbroschüre für Angehörige
An interview with Stefanie Dimmeler, Chief Editor
Ordnung der Fachbereiche Medizin, Biowissenschaften, Biochemie, Chemie und Pharmazie sowie Psychologie und Sportwissenschaften der Johann Wolfgang Goethe-Universität für den Masterstudiengang Interdisciplinary Neuroscience mit dem Abschluss "Master of Science" (M.Sc.) vom 30. März 2009 in der Fassung vom 22. April 2009 : genehmigt durch das Präsidium am 11. Oktober 2011
C-clamp and pelvic packing for control of hemorrhage in patients with pelvic ring disruption
Philipp M. Lenzlinger
Marius Johann Baptist Keel
- BACKGROUND: Exsanguinating hemorrhage is the major cause of death in patients with pelvic ring disruption.
AIMS: The aim of this study was to document outcomes after the stabilization of pelvic ring injuries by a C-clamp and control of hemorrhage by pelvic packing. Physiological parameters were tested as prognostic factors.
SETTING AND DESIGN: This was a retrospective study at a level I trauma center. The study period was from January 1996 to December 2007.
MATERIALS AND METHODS: Fifty patients with pelvic ring disruption and hemorrhagic shock were analyzed. The pelvic rings were fixed by a C-clamp, and patients with ongoing hemorrhage underwent laparotomy and extra- and/or intra-peritoneal pelvic packing. Clinical parameters (heart rate, mean arterial pressure) and physiological parameters (lactate levels, hemoglobin, hematocrit) were documented at admission and at different time points during the initial treatment (1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 8, and 12h after admission).
RESULTS: Within 12 h of admission, 16 patients died (nonsurvivors) due to hemorrhagic shock (n=13) or head injuries (n=3). In this group, 12 patients underwent laparotomy with pelvic packing. Thirty-four patients survived the first 12 h (early survivors) after fixation by a C-clamp and additional packing in 23 patients. Four of these patients died 12.3±7.1 days later due to multiple organ failure (n=3) or severe head injury (n=1). The blood lactate level at admission was significantly higher in the group of nonsurvivors (7.2±0.8 mmol/L) compared to the early survivors (4.3±0.5 mmol/L, P<0.05). While hemoglobin values improved within the first 2 h in nonsurvivors, lactate levels continued to increase.
CONCLUSION: Pelvic packing in addition to the C-clamp fixation effectively controls severe hemorrhage in patients with pelvic ring disruption. Early sequential measurements of blood lactate levels can be used to estimate the severity of shock and the response to the shock treatment.
Clinical usefulness of cancer markers in primary breast cancer
Gerhard Maximilian Oremek
- The aim of this study was to investigate the diagnostic power of CA 549, MSA and CA 15-3 in identifying breast cancer. The study included 232 patients of which 56 were healthy, 43 had benign breast cancer and 191 with other growths. The results were obtained using a specific immunoassay and using producers' cut offs. The following sensitivity and specificity of markers were found: CA 549 (sen.: 40%/spec.: 90%), MSA (sen.: 22%/spec.: 96%), and CA 15-3 (sen.: 33%/spec.: 86%). Ideal cut offs were defined with ROC curves. A significant correlation was found between CA 549, MSA, and CA 15-3. The combination of markers does not improve the clinical usefulness to identify only breast cancer. Serum tumor markers are abnormally elevated in patients with breast cancer. CA 549, MSA, CA 15-3 are useful clinical markers, good indicators of disease extent, and may have important prognostic value. This study demonstrates the role of the tumor markers in breast cancer.