A Synopsis of Bolivian Polyrhaphis Audinet-Serville (Coleoptera, Cerambycidae, Lamiinae) with description of a new species
James E. Wappes
- The Bolivian species of Polyrhaphis Audinet-Serville, 1835, (Coleoptera, Cerambycidae, Lamiinae) are reviewed and illustrated, with P. skillmani new species described. A key is presented to the six species recorded from Bolivia (P. angustata Buquet, 1853; P. argentina Lane, 1978; P. gracilis Bates, 1862; P. pilosa Lane, 1965; P. spinosa (Drury, 1773); and P. skillmani Wappes and Santos-Silva, new species). Their collection localities, based on recently identified specimens examined by the authors, are plotted to show the distribution of species, and displayed next to an ecoregion map of Bolivia to illustrate biogeographical information for Polyrhaphis.
A new species of Villiersicometes Santos-Silva, 2003 from French Guiana (Coleoptera, Disteniidae, Disteniinae)
- Villiersicometes scellierae sp. nov. (Coleoptera, Disteniidae), is described from Saül, French Guiana. The species is illustrated and the key for species of Villiersicometes Santos-Silva, 2003 is modified.
Leaf Beetles of the Cayman Islands (Coleoptera: Chrysomelidae)
Shawn M. Clark
Luiz A. Belo Neto
- Data are presented for 29 chrysomelid species (Coleoptera: Chrysomelidae) occurring in the Cayman Islands, West Indies, 26 of these not having been reported from these islands previously. Altica occidentalis Suffrian is removed from the genus Lysathia Bechyné and reinstated in Altica Geoffroy. Chaetocnema perplexa Blake is synonymized with Chaetocnema confinis Crotch, new synonymy. Omophoita cyanipennis octomaculata (Crotch) is synonymized with Omophoita cyanipennis (Fabricius), new synonymy. The following nine species are named and described: Apraea luciae, Apraea priscilae, Cryptocephalus catharinae, Cryptocephalus kirki, Cryptocephalus paulotigrinus, Longitarsus alisonae, Megistops adiae, Nyctiplanctus bifasciatus, Syphrea thurstonae, all are new species. Taxonomic notes and a key to species, as well as information on plant associations and extralimital distribution, are also provided.
Homophileurus neptunus Dechambre, a new junior synonym of H. waldenfelsi Endrödi (Coleoptera: Scarabaeidae: Dynastinae: Phileurini)
Brett C. Ratcliffe
- Homophileurus neptunus Dechambre was found to be conspecific with H. waldenfelsi Endrödi after examination of types, descriptions, and illustrations. Accordingly, H. neptunus is placed in junior synonymy with H. waldenfelsi, new synonymy. Homophileurus waldenfelsi is an uncommon species and occurs in Ecuador, Colombia, Brazil, and Peru. Brazil and Peru are new country records.
New species of the genus Cotycicuiara Galileo and Martins, 2008 (Cerambycidae, Lamiinae, Desmiphorini)
Ubirajara R. Martins
Maria Helena M. Galileo
- Five new species of the genus Cotycicuiara Galileo and Martins are described and illustrated: C. oicepe sp. nov., from Trinidad and Tobago; and from Brazil C. multicava sp. nov., (Minas Gerais); C. pertusa sp. nov., (Rio de Janeiro, Santa Catarina); C. nivaria sp. nov., (Minas Gerais, Espírito Santo); C. chionea sp. nov., (Rio de Janeiro). A revised key to species is provided.
New looks at and for Onespa, Buzyges, and Librita (Lepidoptera: Hesperiidae: Hesperiinae), with new combinations and descriptions of a new genus and six new species
George T. Austin
Andrew D. Warren
- Thirteen species of skippers (six newly described; Lepidoptera: Hesperiidae: Hesperiinae: Hesperiini) from higher elevations of Mexico and Central America are reviewed. These are included in four genera (one newly described), some with proposed new combinations. Onespa Steinhauser, 1974, originally described as monotypic, is shown to include three species in addition to its type species, Onespa nubis Steinhauser, 1974. One of these, Atrytone gala Godman, 1900, that has been misplaced in several genera since its description, represents a new combination. The other two species, distributed in montane habitats in northwestern Mexico and in Costa Rica, are described as new. Buzyges Godman, 1900, distributed in Mexico and Central America and also formerly considered monotypic, is shown to embrace four species. Besides the type species, Buzyges idothea Godman, 1900, two species long placed in Poanes Scudder, 1872, Pamphila rolla Mabille, 1883, and Poanes benito Freeman, 1979, are included as new combinations. Another species, known only from Costa Rica, is described as new. These are united by several superficial characters, but especially by genital morphology of both sexes. Librita Evans, 1955, was described to include three species of which one, Librita raspa Evans, 1955, was subsequently removed. Augiades heras Godman, 1900 is here also removed from Librita and placed in a new genus with three previously undescribed species. This completes the disintegration of Librita, which is now monotypic. The four genera, although exhibiting similarities suggesting potential alliance, differ in their unique combinations of several superficial and genital traits from each other and other hesperiine skippers.
A new genus and two new species of Pteroplatini Thomson from Central America (Coleoptera: Cerambycidae)
- A new genus and species in the tribe Pteroplatini Thomson, Nubosoplatus inbio Swift, and a new species of Corynellus Bates, C. lampyrimorphus Swift, are described from cloud forest habitats in Costa Rica.