Prescribing practice of pregabalin/gabapentin in pain therapy : an evaluation of German claim data

  • Objectives: To analyse the prevalence and incidence of pregabalin and gabapentin (P/G) prescriptions, typical therapeutic uses of P/G with special attention to pain-related diagnoses and discontinuation rates. Design: Secondary data analysis. Setting: Primary and secondary care in Germany. Participants: Four million patients in the years 2009–2015 (anonymous health insurance data). Intervention: None. Primary and secondary outcome measures: P/G prescribing rates, P/G prescribing rates associated with pain therapy, analysis of pain-related diagnoses leading to new P/G prescriptions and the discontinuation rate of P/G. Results: In 2015, 1.6% of insured persons received P/G prescriptions. Among the patients with pain first treated with P/G, as few as 25.7% were diagnosed with a typical neuropathic pain disorder. The remaining 74.3% had either not received a diagnosis of neuropathic pain or showed a neuropathic component that was pathophysiologically conceivable but did not support the prescription of P/G. High discontinuation rates were observed (85%). Among the patients who had discontinued the drug, 61.1% did not receive follow-up prescriptions within 2 years. Conclusion: The results show that P/G is widely prescribed in cases of chronic pain irrespective of neuropathic pain diagnoses. The high discontinuation rate indicates a lack of therapeutic benefits and/or the occurrence of adverse effects.
Author:Annika Viniol, Tina Ploner, Lennart Hickstein, Jörg Haasenritter, Karl Martin Klein, Jochen Walker, Norbert Donner-Banzhoff, Annette Becker
Pubmed Id:
Parent Title (English):BMJ open
Publisher:BMJ Publishing Group
Place of publication:London
Document Type:Article
Year of Completion:2019
Date of first Publication:2019/03/30
Publishing Institution:Universitätsbibliothek Johann Christian Senckenberg
Release Date:2019/04/18
Tag:diabetic neuropathy; pain management; primary care
Issue:3, e021535
Page Number:6
First Page:1
Last Page:6
This is an open access article distributed in accordance with the Creative Commons Attribution Non Commercial (CC BY-NC 4.0) license, which permits others to distribute, remix, adapt, build upon this work non-commercially, and license their derivative works on different terms, provided the original work is properly cited, appropriate credit is given, any changes made indicated, and the use is non-commercial. See:
Institutes:Medizin / Medizin
Dewey Decimal Classification:6 Technik, Medizin, angewandte Wissenschaften / 61 Medizin und Gesundheit / 610 Medizin und Gesundheit
Licence (English):License LogoCreative Commons - Namensnennung-Nicht kommerziell 4.0